Digital radiography technology has certain advantages over film-based x-rays. Dental x rays are an efficient tool used in dentistry for evaluating oral health. They can help in identifying different types of dental issues that might be related to teeth, gums, or bone. These low radiation digital x-rays make the procedure much safer and more precise in evaluating the dental health of a patient. At Lena D. Karkalas, DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our priorities include your comfort, which is why we choose low radiation digital radiography methods.
The pictures of the x-rays taken can develop readily and instantly appear on the computer screen. These images can not only help the dentist in determining treatment for you but also help in enhancing patient education.
What are digital x-rays?
Digital x-rays take very detailed images of your teeth, jaws, and other structures in your mouth with a special technique which can help in identifying decays, diagnosing diseases or conditions and also guide your treatment plan.
What are the uses of digital x-rays?
Dental x-rays help in detecting specific dental issues in their early stage, even before you start experiencing any symptoms. The images can help in planning treatment for cavities, root canal therapy, tooth extraction, and dental implant placement as well. On the other hand, the dentist can easily detect:
- Any areas of tooth decay
- Loss of bone due to periodontal disease
- Changes in the root canal
- Abscesses, the infections at the tooth root or between the tooth and gum
- Dental injuries or damage to the support system of teeth
What are the benefits of digital x-rays?
The benefits of digital x-rays are, as follows:
- They produce less radiation.
- The process is much faster.
- Digital images are precise and clear.
- Digital x-ray images are instantly stored and readily available on the computer screen.
- Digital x-rays do not require film and film processing chemicals.
Call us 401-861-2140 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Karkalas for a consultation at our office in 151 Waterman Street Providence, RI.