Resin fillings mimic the color of your natural teeth and provide the needed amount of protection. Composite fillings can help in restoring tooth structure after removing the pieces of the tooth that have decay. In other cases, composite fillings are used for restoring the damaged tooth.
Can anyone get a filling?
The dentist places fillings frequently because, in order to undergo this type of restoration, you need to have a sufficient healthy tooth structure. If you do not have much of the tooth’s structure, then it is better to go for a dental crown. If a crown surrounds the tooth like a cap, then it will provide a stronger and more protective restoration.
What are the advantages of composite fillings?
White fillings or composite fillings are regarded as the best type of fillings. They have the following advantages:
- Composite fillings are tooth-colored and so closely match the color, texture, and translucency of the teeth. Hence, they go unnoticed.
- They form a perfect seal preventing the foreign particles or debris from entering into the cavity or crack. They help in holding the tooth together and strengthen it.
- They are non-toxic.
- They are highly durable and long-lasting. If provided proper care, it could even last up to several years without hassle.
What are the special care instructions for these fillings?
You will have to care for these fillings just as your other teeth, such as:
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss once a day.
- Use fluoride toothpaste as they strengthen your teeth and prevent further decay.
- Wear a mouthguard if applicable.
Call us 401-861-2140 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Karkalas for a consultation at our office in 151 Waterman Street Providence, RI.